Tue, 07 Jun|
[UNGCMYB x Bloomberg] CSO Roundtable - Leaders for SDGs
Time & Location
07 Jun 2022, 11:00 am – 12:20 pm
Kuala Lumpur, 12, Jalan Pinang, Kuala Lumpur, 50450 Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
About the event
Leaders for SDGs: Navigating the Converging Roles of Key Private Sector Actors for Malaysia's Sustainable Development
Malaysia’s economy has been significantly impacted in the past two years due to the Covid-19 pandemic. According to the Department of Statistics Malaysia, Malaysia’s 2020 Gross Domestic Product (GDP) contracted 5.6%, making it the second lowest performance since the 1998 crisis which resulted in a contraction by 7.4%. After two challenging years, 2022 will be the beginning of the endemic phase for Malaysian businesses to bounce back and recover the local economy. At the same time, the 12th Malaysia Plan (12MP) was also disclosed recently on 27 September 2021 with the announcement that the national development priorities of the 12MP will continue to be aligned to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development (2030 Agenda).
It is recognized that every actor plays an important role in the recovery of this pandemic as they have a huge influence on the economy. With this influence, they also play a key role in accelerating the SDG Agenda in Malaysia.
This roundtable aims to gather top leaders from various sectors for a Roundtable Session - to bring various actors together to understand and develop common baselines on sustainability issues and potential solutions. The insights from the roundtable discussion will be consolidated into a whitepaper for publication.
- To identify key opportunities & challenges faced by different corporate actors that can be enhanced by convergence of common actions
- To gain insights on common sustainability baselines and potential enterprise level solutions among the actors
- To understand best fit convergence strategies and actions that can be adopted by multi corporate stakeholders to advance Malaysia’s SDG agenda
- As a platform to connect the various corporate actors involved in corporate sustainability in Malaysia
A whitepaper titled “Navigating the Converging Roles of Key Private Sector Actors for Malaysia's Sustainable Development” - targeted to be released in the 4th quarter of 2022. The paper seeks to identify the various roles which key Malaysian actors (e.g., corporates, banks, investors, regulators) can play to accelerate the nation’s sustainable development agenda.
8 C-Suite representatives from the following list
- Bursa Malaysia Berhad, Chief Executive Officer, Datuk Muhamad Umar Swift
- Axiata Group Berhad, Head of Sustainability, Adelene Anthony Sinniah
- Malayan Banking Berhad (Maybank), Chief Sustainability Officer, Shahril Azuar Jimin
- Sarawak Energy Berhad, Head of Sustainability, Mohamad Irwan Aman
- AEON Co. (M) Berhad, Chief Ventures and Sustainability, Azli Mohamed
- Permodalan Nasional Berhad, Head of Investment Stewardship, Muazzam Mohamad
- Lembaga Tabung Haji, Director Investments Mohamad Damshal Awang Damit
- PETRONAS, Chief Sustainability Officer, Charlotte Wolff-Bye
- Mr. Faroze Nadar, Executive Director, UN Global Compact Network Malaysia & Brunei
- Mr. Vignesh R S, Head of Market and Product Specialists, Bloomberg Singapore Pte. Ltd.
10.30 am - 11.00 am
Registration & Welcome
11.00 am - 11.15 am
Opening Remarks : The Role of Private Sector Actors To Advance The Nations SDGs
- YB Dato' Sri Mustapa Mohamed, Minister In The Prime Minister's Department (Economy)
11.15 am - 12.15 pm
12.15 pm - 12.20 pm
- Bloomberg & UNGCMYB