Tue, 06 Jun|
Monash University Malaysia
SBTi Symposium 2023 - An Evidence-based Blueprint for Climate Action
Time & Location
06 Jun, 2:00 pm – 6:00 pm MYT
Monash University Malaysia
About the event
The ASEAN region has experienced a significant number of disaster events in the past two years, resulting in a high number of deaths and displacement, with severe flooding killing 54 people and displacing 70,000 in Malaysia alone. These events have resulted in the costliest disasters causing $3 billion in damages each.
Businesses have a responsibility to combat climate change by reducing carbon emissions and setting science-based targets, which can increase cost efficiency and appeal to sustainability-conscious consumers while slowing down the negative effects of climate change on the environment, society, and economy.
Many companies in the APAC region, including 109 in ASEAN and 17 in Malaysia, have committed to setting science-based targets, with 67 committed to Net-Zero Standards by 2050, including 10 Malaysian companies. The 2023 SBTi Symposium aims to raise awareness and provide guidance to inspire business leaders to set science-based targets and keep temperatures below 1.5ºC. To be held in conjunction with World Environment Day, the event themed “An Evidence-based Blueprint for Climate Action'', is expected to draw up to 200 local participants, with speakers from United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), the Science-Based Targets Initiative (SBTi), and local SBTi committers from both large and small organisations.
- To raise awareness amongst business leaders on the importance of adopting Science-based targets.
- To provide practical guidance to key leaders on implementing the Net-Zero Standards in order to protect the environment and fortify their businesses for a successful economy.
- To encourage networking/partnership opportunities.
1.30PM – 2.00PM: Registration
2.00PM – 2.03PM: Welcoming remarks
- Monash University Malaysia
2.03PM – 2.05PM: Opening Remarks
- Mr. Faroze Nadar, Executive Director, UN Global Compact Network Malaysia & Brunei
2.05PM – 2.20PM: Opening Keynote
- YB Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad, Minister of Natural Resources, Environment and Climate Change, Malaysia
2.20PM – 2.40PM: Enabling Meaningful Outcomes at COP 28 and Beyond
- Dr. (Mrs.) Banashri Sinha, Climate Change Specialist, UNFCCC/RCC Asia Pacific
2.40PM – 3.15PM: Setting Science-Based Targets: Strategies for Business Action
- Mr. Dedy Mahardika, SBT Engagement Manager, SEA & Oceania, CDP
3.15PM - 3.30PM: Break
3.30PM - 4.15PM: Panel Session 1 - The Business Case for Setting and Achieving Science-based Targets
- Ms. Adelene Anthony Sinniah, Head of Sustainability, Axiata Group Berhad
- Mr. Mohamad Irwan Aman, General Manager, Sustainability, Sarawak Energy Berhad
- Dato’ Ir. Dr. Dennis Ganendra, Chief Executive Officer, Minconsult Sdn. Bhd.
- Moderator: Ms. Jess Yeoh, Director of Programmes & Enterprise Insights, UN Global Compact Network Malaysia & Brunei (UNGCMYB)
4.15PM - 4.25PM: PRO-GRESS Presentation
- Ms. Shanta Helena Dwarkasing, Director of Programmes & SME Center of Excellence, UN Global Compact Network Malaysia & Brunei (UNGCMYB)
4.25PM - 4.40PM: Break
4.40PM - 5.40PM: Panel Session 2 - Scaling Up Decarbonisation in the Value Chain
- Mr. Rashyid Redza Anwarudin, Chief Sustainability Officer, Sime Darby Plantation Berhad
- Mr. Wan Sayuti Wan Hussin, General Manager (Strategy, Policy & Regulation), Corporate Sustainability, PETRONAS
- Mr. Shahril Azuar Jimin, Chief Sustainability Officer, Maybank
- Mr. Shane Guha Thakurta, General Manager, Investor Relations & Sustainability, IJM Corporation Berhad
- Moderator: Prof. Adeline Johns-Putra, Head of the School of Arts & Social Sciences, Monash University Malaysia
5.40PM - 5.50PM: Token & Photo Session
5.50PM - 6.00PM: End & Networking Session
In recognition of the increasing importance and value of the SBTi to the private sector, UN Global Compact Network Malaysia & Brunei is subsidising tickets for all participants of the SBTi Symposium 2023.
Please note that this symposium is open exclusively to managerial level and above. UNGCMYB Member Companies may request a maximum of two (2) tickets per organisation. Non-member Companies will be limited to one (1) ticket per organisation.
For more information, kindly contact email@example.com