Thu, 26 Oct|
Monash University Malaysia
SME ESG Symposium 2023
Time & Location
26 Oct, 1:30 pm – 5:30 pm MYT
Monash University Malaysia, Jalan Lagoon Selatan, Bandar Sunway, 47500 Subang Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia
About the event
Adoption of ESG and implementing sustainable business practices is important not only for Corporates to increase shareholder value, but also for SMEs. From a corporate perspective, there is a need for SMEs ESG data availability to mitigate any sustainability risks occurring in the supply chain. Another need for SME ESG data disclosures is prompted by financial institutions, which are mandated to assess SME’s climate performance according to Bank Negara’s CCPT. Aside from a compliance demand, there are also perceived benefits among SMEs for adopting ESG.
3 out of 5 SMEs believe that ESG brings them long-term benefits including a strong workforce and increased business opportunities. Among the ESG adopters, 3 out of 4 started their journey in the last 5 years and 80% have recognised the value and plan to pursue it, according to Alliance Bank’s ESG SME Survey Report (2023).
Despite these positive sustainability perspectives, there are still barriers to overcome. Some of the key barriers outlined in the Report include uncertainty about the impact of ESG, financial constraints and a lack of knowledge among SMEs. It will take concerted efforts by multiple stakeholders to overcome these barriers and contribute to the creation of a conducive environment for SMEs to adopt ESG and transition to sustainable business practices.
The SME ESG Symposium 2023 is co-organised by Alliance Bank Malaysia Berhad, UN Global Compact Network Malaysia & Brunei (UNGCMYB) and Monash University Malaysia. Themed “Enabling Collaborative Ecosystems for SME ESG Transition'', the symposium convenes key stakeholders to share knowledge and insights to address the challenges and opportunities to accelerate the adoption of ESG among SMEs.
- Identify how various stakeholders can build and support a sustainable SME ecosystem of changemakers
- Identify from the audience how and which research topics the organising parties could investigate to drive impact in a sustainable SME ecosystem
- Identify the key challenges and opportunities faced by SMEs to deliver on their sustainability ambitions
- Foster collaboration between corporate and public sector actors to raise SDG ambition and advance the sustainability actions of Malaysia’s private sector
- Recommend how the public and private sector can work together to chart a course that will establish a sustainable SME ecosystem that contributes to Malaysia’s SDG agenda
1:30pm – 2:00pm: Arrival of Guest and Registration
2:00pm – 2:05pm: Alliance Bank Malaysia Berhad ESG Video
2:05pm – 2:10pm: Welcoming remarks
- Faroze Nadar, Executive Director, UN Global Compact Network Malaysia and Brunei
2:10pm – 2:20pm: Keynote address
2.20pm – 2.25pm: Speech
- Mr Kellee Kam, CEO, Alliance Bank Malaysia Berhad
2.25pm – 2.30pm: Speech
- Dato' Professor Adeeba Kamarulzaman, CEO, Monash University (Malaysia Campus)
2.30pm – 2.35pm: MOU signing by Alliance Bank Malaysia Berhad and Monash University Malaysia
2.35pm – 2.40pm: MOU signing by International Centre for Education in Islamic Finance University and Alliance Bank Malaysia Berhad
2.40pm – 3.40pm: Panel discussion: Building A Viable SME Ecosystem To Power Sustainable supply chains
3.40pm – 3:55pm: Coffee Break
3.55pm – 4:55pm: Break out session: SME group discussion
4.55pm – 5:00pm: Conclusion and closing remarks
- Monash University Malaysia
5:00pm – 5:05pm: Group photo
5:05pm – 5:30pm: Refreshments & networking
○ Kindly note that this symposium is by invitation only.
○ A confirmation email will be sent to those whom the symposium is intended for.
○ The organiser reserves the right to refuse registration at its discretion.
For more information, please contact Nurul (email@example.com)